Math Problem Solving Part 1: Join (aka Some and Some More)

by C. Elkins, OK Math and Reading Lady

I have 1 penny in one pocket. I have 6 more pennies in another pocket. This is a Join or “some and some more” story structure.

Many teachers I work with have asked for advice on problem solving in math. Students often don’t know how to approach them or know what operation to use. Should teachers help students focus on key words or not? What about the strategies such as CUBES, draw pictures, make a list, guess and check, work backwards, find a pattern?

While all of those strategies definitely have their purpose, I find  we often give kids so many steps to follow (underline this, circle this, highlight that, etc.) that they lose sight of what the problem is basically about.

In this post, I will focus on two basic questions (who and what) and a simple graphic organizer that will help students think about (and visualize) the actions in a one-step Join story problem. KG and first grade students can act out these actions using story mats or ten frames. Late first through 5th grade can use a part-part-whole box. There are two FREE items offered.  

These are the types of problems I will focus on in the next few posts.

1. Join (also referred to as SSM – Some and Some More)
  2. Separate (also referred to as SSWA – Some, Some Went Away)
  3. Part-Part-Whole
  4. Comparing
  5. Equal groups

JOIN problems have 3 versions: 

• a + b = ___     (The result is unknown.)
  • a + ____ = c   (How the story changed is unknown / missing addend.)
  •  ____ + b = c  (The start is unknown / missing addend.)

They can also be referred to as “Some and Some More” stories (SSM). This means, you have some and you get some more for a total amount. These present themselves as additive stories, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to add to solve them. The second and third version above are often referred to as missing addend problems.

In these stories, students should identify these 2 things: who and what. They should also notice the action in the story. Focus on the verbs used such as: find, buy, receive, get, collect, come, join, etc. Click here for a FREE copy of my Addition Story Actions chart  (See picture below). Start a list in your class and add to it whenever you find more examples. 

Here’s an example of result unknown:  a + b = ____.  There were 4 birds in the tree. Then 3 more joined them. How many birds in the tree now?

• Who is this story about?  birds
  • What is this story about? some birds join some other birds in a tree
  • How many birds were at the start of this story?  4
  • Do we know how this story changed? Yes, some more birds (3) joined them.
  • Join means to add them together.  4 and 3 = 7.
  • How many birds in the tree now? 7
  • This makes sense because if we have some, and some more join them, then we will have more than we started with.