Here are some PD workshop topics which I can address at your school. Please contact me for more information:
- Number Bonds: Early math strategies to build number sense and prepare students for learning addition and subtraction combinations. Included would be the continuum of mathematical cognitive thinking, daily math routines, subitizing, ten frames, Rekenreks, and dozens of ways to practice and learn number bonds to 10. Appropriate for KG – 2nd grade.
- Addition and Subtraction Strategies: Combining place value understanding with knowledge of number bonds. Included would be strategies using base ten manipulatives, 100 chart, number lines, open number lines, and story problem structures. These strategies include branching, making ten, decomposing, compensation, partial sums, and rounding / estimation. Appropriate for 1st – 3rd grades.
- Multiplication and Division Strategies: Conceptual understanding of multiplication and division basics as well as complex problem solving strategies. Topics include arrays, connection to the distributive property, number patterns, area model, use of base ten, partial products, partial quotients, and doubling and halving. Appropriate for 2nd – 5th grades.
- Fraction Concepts: Conceptual understanding of fractions using hands-on and pictorial methods featuring area, set, and number line fraction models. There will also be a focus on several ways to compare and calculate with fractions which build a deeper understanding rather than use of tricks. Appropriate for 3rd – 6th grades.
- Measurement Topics: Connect number operations and use of concrete materials to measurement topics of perimeter, area, volume, telling time, elapsed time, and problem solving with temperature. Appropriate for 2nd – 5th grades.
- Math and Literature: Connecting math with literature provides another avenue to increase understanding and problem solve. All grades.
- Patterns and Algebraic Reasoning: Building patterns and relating them to functions and algebraic understanding. What are the different types of patterns? How can you show patterns with symbols, pictures, and numbers? What is the meaning of the equal sign? Solving for the missing addend or factor. Appropriate for grades 1-5.
- Number Talks: How to increase your students’ understanding of number sense, number operations, and mental math via daily 5-15 minute numbers talks. All grades.
- Daily Math Activities to Increase Number Sense: Don’t wait until the test to review — find interactive methods to do this on a daily basis for just about any math topic. All grades.
- Toolkit of Math Manipulatives: What can you do with color tiles, unifix or connecting cubes, two-sided counters, base ten, patterns blocks, dice, playing cards and others to increase understanding of math standards? Using manipulatives is not just for primary students. All grades.
- Running Records and Cueing Systems: Learn how to take a running record and analyze it. The results can help determine a student’s instructional reading level, show growth over time, and identify the cueing systems being used or neglected (meaning, structure, or visual). Emphasis on cueing systems (meaning, structure, visual) and effective teaching and prompting for strategies to help a student become more independent.
- Spelling: Effective, interactive spelling strategies based on research. Grades 1-4
- Guided Reading: Procedures, organization, and strategies for a successful program, including ideas for literacy work stations.
- Word Work: How to incorporate effective word work strategies during your learning stations and guided reading teacher session. Included is research on effective sight word instructional practices.
- Writing in the Primary Classroom: How to provide many writing opportunities such as class news, journal writing, non-fiction models, and during the guided reading teacher session. Appropriate for KG -3rd grades.
- Comprehension Strategies: Comprehension strategies and use of graphic organizers which can apply to fiction and non-fiction texts.
- How to Get Boys More Interested in Reading: Unique suggestions on a variety of ways to motivate boys to read.
Don’t see a topic you need here? Let me know and I can customize one for your needs.